Thursday, July 26, 2007

Unknown Mass

For the past month I have had a large mass in my lower abdomen, its about the size of a tennis ball and you can put your hand around it and its solid. A week ago another one started in my upper abdomen. I have been quite alarmed by this so I returned to see the surgeon on Tuesday.

In his office, he looked me square in the eye and said, "I don't know what in the hell it is." Wanna talk about a sentence out of a doctor's mouth that can really scare you? He excused himself, consulted the internet and called some other surgeons and finally opted to send me over to the hospital for a scan. I am a regular at the hospital, pretty much on first name basis with everyone and know all of the back ways to everywhere... I was told to wait after they did the scan and I would be instructed on how to proceed.

After much consultation, visits from other surgeons, doctors and radiologists with all of them poking at my stomach and shaking their heads they came to the conclusion it is nothing more than scar tissue and in time my body will absorb it and all will be well??? I am not particularly comfortable with this conclusion because they all initially ruled it out by its properties alone. I guess for now, unless I experience further pain or discomfort I will give it time.

No comments: