Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Graduation

My daughter is graduating from high school this Friday night. My first baby. My only girl. My little girl.

The hopes and dreams I have for this child are endless. She is smart and beautiful. The world is at her feet she can do anything and be anything she sets her mind to. Her greatest cheerleader on this earth is me. I know my daughter and I know the potential.

For now I am breathing a sigh of relief. A huge sigh of relief. So thankful she made it through. So thankful she made it through unhurt and beautiful and smart. So thankful for so many things.

It's crazy, but as a single parent you feel so much pressure. (yes, I know, all parents feel a great pressure, a pressure to teach their children the right things, to give them the right things, to set the right boundaries, to set the right example, etc., etc.) But as a single parent I always felt due to the intensity of our divorce and the eagerness to point fingers and place blame an extraordinary amount of pressue. I felt and still feel as if we live our life under a microscope and someone somewhere is just waiting for one big mistake.

And oh how I love my daughter, but believe me, she is a strong willed free spirit who is going to speak her mind and do as she pleases. I am quite certain the fact that I am now coloring my hair every three weeks is due to her. So today, as the first full day of her new life as a young adult, I am breathing a huge sigh of relief. And I know, my job as a parent to her is not done, we are just entering into a new phase of our lives in which I more often have to stand back and keep my mouth shut and let her learn on her own. Thats the hard part. We don't want our children to have to learn life lessons the hard way, but it is how we all learn.

Kelsay, I love you and I am oh so proud to be your mother.

No comments: