Friday, May 25, 2007

Beginning to think I could use a fainting couch...

I have not had a lot of good luck since my last surgery. It seems to have taken a bit more out of me than I expected. During the first week I had several dizzy spells and nearly passed out at home several times, falling across the bed or a chair to break the fall, but not actually passing all the way out. Then on my first trip to the doctor's office to have the staples removed (one week later) I had a major pain attack and a bit of a mental meltdown which sent me straight to the hospital for a couple of days.

After returning home and taking it easy for a few days I felt as if perhaps I was on the mend. My surgeon had been on vacation during my first checkup and his partner was the one who saw me and admitted me to the hospital. I had another checkup yesterday with my surgeon who was now back from vacation. He came in and started explaining my test results from the previous week to me and going into great detail as to why I was still in so much pain.

In the midst of this very detailed explanation I told him I was feeling dizzy, he didn't hear me, just kept on with very graphic details. My mother looked over at me and asked me if I was alright. I said no and fell over sideways into the empty chair between us. When I opened my eyes, there was a funny smell (smelling salts) and two nurses, my mom and the good doctor all staring at me. The got me a cold wet rag and told me not to get up because I would pass out again. How totally embarassing.

My first question was if I could drive yet. The answer. Not today. And, use your judgement, if you continue to have dizzy spells and faint, you probably might not want to drive. Use common sense. Practice patience. And remember, tincture of time, you will start feeling much better in 6-8 weeks the pain will be almost gone, oh and the pouch in your tummy will start lessening in a month or so and you "should" regain feeling in your lower abdomen in time also. I guess with all of the other pain I am feeling, I am glad my lower tummy is numb.

In a nutshell, this sucks, I am tired of being sick and puny, and the thought of not riding a jetski for another month or so is breaking my heart.

No comments: