Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A new School year

Well here we are. The beginning of a new school year. A senior, a sophomore and a fourth grader. I have wrote non-stop checks for the past two weeks. August is the most expensive month of the year, I have declared this to be the truth for several years now. But let me tell you, with one of my kids being a senior, with her driver's license and now a sophomore who will be taking his written driving exam Saturday morning, you can't imagine the expenses. Good grief.

My ex mother-in-law thinks she is helping oh so very much by giving each kid $20 for school supplies. Well first, not like it really goes all that far, but it does indeed help....however, placing $20 bucks in the hands of a kid, is just that, placing it in the hands of a kid. Does she honestly think that money will go into the kitty to pay for school supplies? Will it ever see the light of day of being used for anything reasonable? Shoot no, that money was given to the kids and kids are kids. Oh well. I am sure many would say she means well. Many more would say if she truly wanted to help, she would take each kid shopping and make sure they get $20 worth of something for school...

And on the subject of school supplies. My son's elementary school had the coolest fundraiser ever already this year. The PTO purchased school supplies, packaged them according to the supply list for each grade level, and had them ready for purchase at school registration. Not only was the shopping done, and at better prices than you would get running all over town, they only charged a $5 fee. My son's package cost $14(That includes the $5 fee!!!). I assure you I would not have gotten by that cheap just purchasing the items not to mention time and gas money. I encourage any of you who read this with elementary kids to suggest this to your PTO for a fall fundraiser. Not only is it a great idea, but you also don't have to send your kids door to door in your neighborhood selling candy bars or wrapping paper, and you don't have to sell for them at work! Brilliant I tell you, just brilliant! OH, and the other perk, everyone has the same thing.....no super expensive better than everyone else's stuff, its all uniform and consistent.

So I took a little breather for myself as I wound up my first few online courses towards ultimately obtaining my appraiser's license. I am currently working at home in the evenings updating our data base - so its not really a breather. I was given a waiver on my trainee license and it is not necessary that I get an Associates degree, I really have only five more classes I need to take....however, I am 1/4 of the way towards my associates in business administration, and why not go ahead and get it, as I understand it, a little knowledge never hurt anyone, not to mention I think it is a good example for me to set for my kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting..! Fall is approaching and that means the beginning of the school year is nearing once again.