Thursday, February 7, 2008

OMG the Flooding

I cannot believe the way its flooding around here. Its the first I've really seen what I might encounter with my home. Fortunately, my house is at the top of a small hill in my neighborhood. Apparently my pond is the first pond in a "chain" of ponds also. Believe it or not, the water level has not changed in my pond. I think a lot of water drains into it but just flows right on to the next pond and the next one and then next one clear on down to the lake. I am fortunate. No water in my basement.

I do however have one pesky roof leak that is getting worse. It leaked twice the first two winters here and now this winter I have had four times of it leaking. So......the handyman neighbor came down last night to see what I was talking about while it was in action, it leaks in an interior wall wouldn't you know. Nothing we can really do until the snow melts off the roof and we get a somewhat decent day.

I feel very bad for the people who's homes are flooding. Its a horrible helpless feeling. I remember when my ex changed the locks on the doors at my other house and wouldn't let the kids and I get the rest of our personal belongings. At the time I said it was no worse than if we had experienced a flood or a fire, but it was heartwrenching all the same. To lose so many "pieces of our lives" but yet we were fortunate that we were ok and had a place to call home. I can only imagine what so many people folks are going through now with these flood waters.

1 comment:

one4JC said...

Just a thought.... When the snow melts UNTIL you have a decent day you could always have the handy dandy neighbor nail a small piece of plastic on the roof. I know the blue tarps on roofs as you drive down the road are not very attractive but if it saves further interior damage it may be worth it in the long run.