Saturday, October 18, 2008

A 9 yr old's point of view

My little guy and I had an interesting conversation last evening. His two older siblings had other plans for the evening so it left just he and I to hang out. We were driving into town and out of the clear blue he says to me,

"Mom, if Obama wins I think a lot of people are going to move out of country and we are going to end up having no money." Huh? Where did that come from? Of course I had to probe into that statement, because, believe it or not, at this point I had no political discussions with him, I have been too focused on figuring things out myself and trying to understand where my daughter is coming from.

So my youngest son goes on to tell me if he works really hard and makes $1000 a day, he is going to end up with only about $200 for all of his hard work while four other people who did nothing all day end up with the same amount. (Did I mention this kid is 9 years old?)

He went on to say, in his words..."the whole plan is gay". Now I wasn't too crazy about his choice of words, but nonetheless, he gets it. He said, "Mom I want to be rich someday, I want to work hard and have nice things, I will just have to go live somewhere else, why would I want to live here?" (Is the air sucked out of your lungs yet?)

The greatest country on earth, so let's change it???

This whole conversation with my son hit home harder last night when I read this post .

1 comment:

Tim Zank said...

Now that kid gets it!! You should be very proud, he's perceptive as heck!

O/T

Maybe see ya at the Palin appearance!