Tuesday, September 2, 2008

America's Sweetheart







What a difference a few days can make. How easily hope can be restored. I already stated earlier on my blog that I had lost all interest in the election. Yes, I was going to vote. I was going to do my duty and just vote. Vote for the lesser of two evils. Vote to cancel out the vote of my mother. Just vote.


AWB and I discussed many moons ago women in politics. Women and the presidency. At the time we both agreed Hillary was not the woman to be the first woman president. We agreed the job could be held by a woman, but Hillary was not the one and we were not even sure at the time there was such a woman on the horizon.

Enter Sarah Palin. The woman on the horizon. The woman who is offering hope where I was sadly beginning to believe all hope was lost. She is in my opinion "America's Sweetheart." To quote a good friend of mine, "she is every man's dream!" She hunts, she fishes, she carries a gun. In my opinion, she is my role model. She is beautiful, she is smart, she fights for what she believes in and keeps family values close to heart.

She may not have experience in foreign affairs. But hey, let's say we get our own affairs in order first! I honestly don't care that any presidential candidate is weak in one area and strong in another, let's face it folks, do you honestly believe a President makes any decision all by their lonesome? Come on, what is Congress all about, what are all of the advisory panels for? Get real. It is a learn as you go job no matter what anyone says. Besides that, we are not talking about Sarah being President - yet.

McCain is a very wise man indeed to have made this choice. A few months ago, I could not talk about politics within my own family. Namely with my mother. She was a Hillary supporter from the get go. Although I agree with some of what she had to say and yes I wanted to see a woman succeed in this world, I just could not get on the Hillary bandwagon. Not even when I felt sure a vote for her was not a vote for Obama. That was the only way I could justify it. In the primary I even understood the concept of lets push to get Hillary the nomination because she will be easier to defeat than Obama in the fall. Even then, I couldn't do it, I just couldn't cross that party line.

Over the course of the weekend I read up on Sarah and her family and her qualifications. I got all of my ps and qs in order and decided I would take up this discussion with my mother. Armed with knowledge I was prepared for this battle. I honed up on all the soft spots my mother would go for. She always used the war as her trump card and would resort to tears when discussing Hillary and how she knew Hillary would end the war. So anyhow, I was armed and ready today.

Man, blow me over with a feather. My mother and I are on the same page. Yes, she is going to vote the right errrrr Republican way this fall. All because of Sarah. My mother sees hope now. She feels Sarah will fight for all that is wrong, she will fight to get an end to the war (she has a son in the services you know), she is the picture of today's American family. What is right and what is wrong, Sarah is in there and living it with the rest of us and she has perspective.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She is all that and more. I'm 100% behind McCain/Palin!