Friday, April 17, 2009

Who woulda thought?

Who would have thought that my oldest daughter turning 18 and graduating from high school would make me cry? I didn't. Well ok, yes I did.

I get very emotional. Every time any of my kids have been in any kind of play or graduation or awards ceremony or anything, I cry. Every single dance recital, every time one of my kids walked out on stage, I teared up. I don't know why, it just happens, I get a big lump in my throat and tears start welling up in my eyes. Its a mix of emotions, mostly pride, but other ones too.

When I received the information to order her graduation stuff, I did ok with that....no tears....just trying to figure out how I was going to pay for it, but no tears. But today, all of the information about all that is going to take place between now and graduation...I was a sobbing fool by the time I finished reading it.

So tell me....how am I going to get through the graduation ceremony??? Waterproof mascara and a box of tissues for starters...

2 comments:

Becky said...

When my first daughter turned 18 I became a basket case. It was like the VERY END of a chapter in my life. And even though I had a younger daughter still at home, the first one turning 18 left me undone. It was grief and sorrow for the end of a chapter in my life. I think it's natural to grieve. And I wonder too if it hits us harder as single moms? Because there's no "we" (ie husband and wife) to look forward to? It also had a lot to do with the fact that after graduation that year, my oldest went to Germany for a year. YIKES! Those were trying times and I feel your pain. ~ Becky

Becky said...

p.s. Just remember... we raise our children so they can leave us. And if we do a good job, that's exactly what they do. Leave us. Pretty darn bittersweet, isn't it?

But see? It also means you've done a GOOD job! :-)