Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Fog and Ice


A two hour delay has turned into another cancellation. I am thankful that safety comes first. In the past, fate has been pushed and there have been some serious accidents involving students on days that they should have been at home. So, I am thankful.


It was foggy 15 years ago today. I know this because my grandfather died fifteen years ago. I was called to the nursing home in the middle of the night and was told he was dying. I held his hand while he took his last breath and his heart beat its last beat. I watched him slip away from this world.


My grandmother was there also. She was very afraid and concerned for her own self too, worried about what her life would be like now that her husband was gone. It was a little after 4 am when we left the nursing home.


It was the thickest fog I had ever driven in. I honestly don't even know how I found the roads or found my way home. When I got close to home my husband had turned on all of the outside lights and the place was lit up like I had never noticed before.


I walked in the house in a daze and went into my 10 month old daughter's room and picked her up from her crib and sat in the rocking chair and just held her tight through what was left of the night.


Days like this will always remind me of my grandfather. And it is almost ironic that its like this on the exact date of his death. I am glad to have my kids home safe and sound today.

No comments: