Monday, June 11, 2007

Grocery Shopping

As you know, I recently had yet another surgery. During my recovery it was my desire to stay in my own home and be as independent as possible. Unfortunately, I hit a snag and had almost three weeks of not being able to drive. During this time my mother would take my kids into town to run errands for me.

One evening I made up a grocery list, tallied up approximately how much money I thought it would cost, built in some extra padding for extras I knew they would "sneak" in and sent the two oldest to the grocery store with my mom. My son is 14 and my daughter is 16.

My mother had some of her own shopping to do, so she sent those two on their own to fill the order. She lagged behind and kept an eye on them. She said the whole venture was quite precious. My daughter made her brother push the cart. And they really concentrated on what they were purchasing and "value" shopped. My mom said they would get into some pretty deep discussions over which brand to buy. They looked like a little old couple. When they returned home, much to my surprise, they had only gone over about $12 in their purchases, teenage staples were added to the list you see, oreos, ice cream, fruit snacks and gum!

After listening to my mom tell the story, I so would have loved to have watched this particular shopping trip!

1 comment:

Tim Zank said...

Just be thankful your mom was there to witness it and tell you about it! I love those rare moments when I "catch" my kids being helpful, even nice to one another when they think I am no where around.