Monday, March 17, 2008

Back to court

At the beginning of the year I started legal proceedings to take my ex back to court in an effort to get an increase in child support. Throughout the course of my divorce I kept telling my attorney and even showing him facts that proved that my ex was hiding money and lying about his income. Unfortunately, I had an attorney who was much more interested in dragging out my divorce as long as possible thus extending his payday with me. It was very unfortunate because he messed up in a lot of areas and cost me a lot of money. I also attribute many of my health issues I have had in the past couple of years as after effects of the stress of my divorce.

Enough about that. I hired a different attorney and today she did a deposition on my ex, trying to figure out just how much money my ex makes. In the process she enlightened him to the very real possibility that he could be guilty of tax evasion. He in turn enlightened us as to how little he knows about being an astute business man. He did admit that since the divorce he has purchased his business from his parents and it was astounding to learn how little he really knows about what exactly it takes to run and own a business.

By the end of the deposition, it was in plain black and white that there is a minimum of an extra 100k a year he is hiding. Guess who's getting an increase in child support??? Just in time for one child to get her driver's license and another one sliding in behind the wheel for driver's ed. Not to mention that we are now looking at colleges for the oldest one. Man time flies when you are raising kids, and the bills get much larger!

A very funny side note, this was the first time my attorney had seen my ex husband, and really hasn't gotten all of the details of what went on in the divorce, her first question to me when my ex left was if he drinks? I said why do you ask? Her response, he is showing all the classic signs of an alcoholic. I am so relieved when people are able to observe this and realize that I had many valid reasons to divorce him.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Yay for you! Seems that things have definitely been on the upswing for ya . . except for that dad-gum TV. LOL

JR - A Green Eyed Gurl.... said...

All in all, things are good. The whole tv thing has turned into a scene from "Pretty Woman" - "I have all this money, but its no fun, the salespeople were mean to me!"

I'll overcome this obstacle sooner or later and have a shiny new tv over my fireplace one of these days~