Sunday, November 23, 2008

Very Sad

Today I received a text message from my oldest son while he was at his dad's for the weekend. A friend of the family for a long time passed away last night. He was young with his whole life ahead of him and left a young son behind. The circumstances surrounding his death were bad decisions he made in his life recently. Decisions that ultimately cost him his life.

My two boys are shook up by this. I am shook up by this. The young man who passed away was the young man moms want their sons to grow up to be. He was handsome, he was charming, he was a hardworker, he adored his son, he had a personality that just drew people to him. He took the time to stop and talk and LISTEN to everyone. His life turned down the wrong road and unfortunately got the better of him. Its so very sad. I can't imagine running into Leesburg and not running into him anymore. He always had a hug and a kiss for me and words of encouragement. Such wise words from someone so young.

My heart breaks for his family and more than anything for his precious little boy who will grow up having a hard time remembering his daddy, and will miss knowing the wonderful man he truly was.

My oldest son is really struggling with this. I also shared a couple of days ago my concern for my son in that he is a yes man and does not wish to hurt anyone's feelings. I fear this could work against him and I fear he could easily follow in his father's footsteps and let alcohol take hold of his life. I asked him to honor the memory of our friend by remembering how his choices cost him his life and hurt so many people left behind to pick up the pieces. Pick up the pieces of what did not have to be. I begged my son to take a long hard look at this and apply it positively to his own life. Then I told him I love him. I can still do that.

No comments: