Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Disposable Society



I have a lot of ideas floating around in my head of just what point I am wishing to make with this post. Bear with me, it could be interesting or it could be a big yawn, if it turns into a big yawn I may delete it, if not, offer your two cents on what I am trying to say here or just ignore it, the beauty of blogs!



Have you noticed just how disposable our lives have gotten? Its really kind of sad. I have a gorgeous dining room table in my home with a buffet server. It belonged to my great grandmother and I have every intention of my daughter taking it with her into her home some day. Its been thru the generations of our family and is still beautiful. On the flip side of that, I have the third set of new living room furniture in my lifetime now. My grandmother is probably turning in her grave, furniture was a lifetime investment in her world.


I don't personally remember the milk man and the glass bottles of milk, but I know they existed. I wore cloth diapers as a baby, but would not even consider such an inconvenience for my babies.


A lot of convenience has been created in our lives by "disposableness", however, it seems like it has changed our perception on some things.


My parents are still in touch with people they grew up with. They have been life long friends and still get together frequently. My childhood and life has been a lot more mobile and I have not maintained such friendships in my lifetime. Perhaps mobile and maybe even mobility are key words here......feeding into the "disposable" angle I am going for here.


Since my separation and divorce I have discovered many facets of "disposability". Starting with the day my now ex husband "flipped the switch" on his emotions and said, "I don't love you and I don't want to be married to you." Wow. Just like that. Then the friends who "flipped the switch" and said sorry, I am friends with your ex, therefore I can't be your friend too" (it would make it difficult for them to sit and talk negative about me.)


Moving on to the dating scene. I will be honest, I really don't like the options of meeting a man in a bar, I don't think I will find what I am searching for there. I have turned to the internet dating sites to see what might be available. I personally like this avenue for meeting men. You can spend time learning about them and getting to know them slowly before you even have a first date. Unfortunately, not all of them adhere to the honesty is the best policy thought process. Still, the internet does offer a chance to weed through some of that. Now the most negative aspect of it that I have found is the fact that even when you meet someone who might just have potential, you still have the ability to keep perusing for something even better. It seems like many good people get "thrown away" or "disposed" of because of the next good possibility. I know its not just the internet, but I think it has definitely enabled this whole process. I have met a couple of men over the years that I really liked a lot, but I got thrown by the wayside as they found a shinier prettier model....whole other issue I have perhaps.


Now here is the real true point to this whole rambling post....FRIENDSHIPS. I guess I believe friendships are a forever thing. They are different than a romance, they are true blue thick and thin bad and good friends. I have not had many of those "best friends" in my life, but the ones I have had I have kept and would never throw them away. Again honesty is always the best policy and it is sometimes more difficult to maintain a friendship with someone of the opposite sex because they tend to drop all friends when they meet a new special someone and special someones are not always understanding of a best friend of the opposite sex. I personally have always indicated such a situation to the best friend but I have also made it clear to my special someone that this person is a very dear friend of mine and I will be there for them, day or night....why doesn't everyone think that way?? Why can some people just throw you away?


No comments: