Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Monopoly

There are three things that my mother told me many times as I was growing up, that I didn't always listen to, and they didn't always make sense to me, but now I think I am getting it. Slowly but surely.

She always said, "be nice to everyone you meet, you never know later on in life how they may help you."

She also told me, "no matter what your lot in life may be, build something on it."

Pretty wise woman eh?

This is her other revelation to me that makes a lot of sense and I wish I could put it into play at this. She said as a kid she loved to play monopoly. She constantly played the game and always bought all the real estate and built on it so she could charge rent. Very smart woman. Later in life, when she divorced my dad she went into real estate sales and when she could she bought houses and fixed them up and rented them out. Residual income you see. I get the picture now. Buy them low enough and they are quickly paid for and less taxes and repairs, they produce income. Monthly.

I know this is a common known fact and a smart business. But I never really looked at it before. But now that I am working with her and my sister and working on appraisals, I see a lot of houses going into foreclosure. It is most definitely a buyer's market and if I had the cash right now I would be buying up properties and fixing them up and renting them. No matter what, there will always be people renting. It is my goal when I get on my feet in this business to invest in real estate, I see the potential there.

Call me crazy, but I really think my mama is a smart lady! (Shhhhh don't tell her I said this!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A Wise Woman she was; and a wise
woman you are.

I count my blessings each day as
the day unfolds.

Thanks for sharing.

The board game of "Risk" is a great board game for the young & all.

Bobett Kelley