Thursday, January 24, 2008

School

Finally! I get to start school! My first two classes I can take online but then I have to go to a testing center for the test. I am looking forward to it. I have been studying in the evenings and of course I get to work the job during the day. I don't get to do the actual appraisals but as an assistant I get to work thru every step of the process.

I love doing the research. I gather almost all of it online, occasionally I have to call the assessor or treasurers' office for information, but most of it I can find online. The county courthouses have all the info online now from the property report card, tax information and aerial maps of the property. I think I would have enjoyed selling real estate in this day and age than I did over 20 years ago. When I did it back then I hated all of the trips to the courthouses.

When I get an order in for an appraisal, the research process begins and before long I have assembled information that tells a complete story of the subject property, including all of the owners, remodeling projects and tear downs and new constructions. This is one particular profession where I see how immensely the internet has benefited the job at hand.

My mother has been doing this for almost 30 years and one thing she started years ago that is so much fun to look through now is: Every home on Lake Tippecanoe (because we all live on or near that lake) - she has taken a picture of when they are going to be torn down. Then she takes a picture of the new home. She has a large file of this ongoing process around the lake and its quite fascinating to look through.

I know I have babbled a lot lately about my new profession - but I really am liking it and wish I would have done it 20 years ago when I had the chance. Better late than never.

No comments: