Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The accidental gourd



The accidental gourd is alive and doing quite well. The rains the last couple of nights are really helping it along. I am trying very hard to guide it off of the sidewalk, but it is now taking over another bush in the landscaping and getting so large that by week's end I will probably guide it into making the curve around the house.


My boys spent all of last week at their dad's and were very surprised at how large it had gotten when they returned Sunday evening. My youngest son is absolutely delighted and my oldest is exasperated. He does several mowing jobs in the neighborhood and I have stressed to him the importance of keeping our lawn looking nice because it basically is his business card. He feels this "accidental gourd" is a poor representation of his work and wants to tear it out. I have explained that it has now become quite entertaining for all of us, many of the neighbors included and we just have to see it through until this fall.


I don't know, we may even have to spend Halloween in our "gourd patch" and await the appearance of the "Great Gourd"!


No matter what, the blooms on this thing, and there are many, are very pretty in the early morning hours.

No comments: