Sunday, January 28, 2007

Fixing Stuff

Today was one of those days where I had to face the harsh reality of life. My kitchen drawers were all messed up. They were off track and the clip thingys were busted and something had to be done. Three of the four drawers were screwed up and could no longer be ignored. I was frustrated because I had fixed one last fall just to have it bust again. But once I removed all of the drawers I was able to assess the situation and realized I had to change all of the clips that hold the tracks for the drawers in place. Ok. I went to Lowe's and bought the clippy thingys. I got out my cordless screwdriver thingy, a hand-me-down from my brother-in-law so he could get a new one. (A new one that works I might add...) This was one of two things I had on my Christmas list last year mind you, a cordless screwdriver and a ladder. Well I was given a ladder but a friend of the family has borrowed it and occasionally I can borrow it.....do I have issues over all of this, you betcha!!!
I also have issues sometimes over how I just wish I had someone to help me with these things. Someone who at a glance can take a look at what needs to be done and can instantly fix it. Its not like that in my case. I have to study the problem and turn it over in my head of just what it will take to remedy the situation. Nine times out of ten my first remedy doesn't work. This only serves to piss me off more and cause me to spend more time pouting and contemplating. Then I get wound up and in the mind set that my repair is going to work or I simply just don't need the @#$%^ thing that is broke!!! (I had my half bath closed off for three months due to this attitude!)
So anyhow, I sat down on the floor today with my little clippy thingys and my screwdriver because of course the hand-me-down cordless one is not working and does not have a proper bit that will fit....and I fixed the drawers in the time frame of about 20 minutes with no cussing or anything, just the sheer determination that I can and will fix this! So now I am doing my laundry, drinking my ice water and watching a chick flick....
Editor's Sidenote: I had to make sure I returned my handy dandy screwdriver to the drawer beside the refrigerator, because more often than not it doubles as a bottle opener! ;)

No comments: