Monday, January 1, 2007

New Year's Resolutions



I eluded to the fact in my last post that I really do not like resolutions. I really don't. They usually turn into lofty goals that are never met and then I end up disappointed in myself. On the other hand, if I do happen to attain one of them then I end up being proud of myself. However, last evening did turn into an evening of reflection and maybe even a bit of perspective of what really is important in my life. And in reality, resolutions, or goals, can add some discipline and order into my life and the lives of my kids. So maybe, just maybe, it is not a bad idea to come up with some resolutions, or goals.


Of course, on the top of my list, I want to lose more weight. I have been sidetracked the last couple of months with surgery, which gave me a jump start on a diet, but also made me "softer and flabbier"...in light of the fact that I have a beautiful neighborhood to walk in, a daily walk would be a great thing along with a healthy eating style and all should be well with me and wouldn't hurt my kids one bit either.


Next on this list I don't think it would hurt for the kids and I to get into a regular habit of going to church again. I tend to let it slide too often with the boys bouncing in and out of here every weekend. I have never wanted to cram religion down their throats and make them despise it, but I have always wanted them to be fully aware and able to make their own decisions, but as a parent, I must guide them....right?


These last few months, with the surgery stuff making me dependent on my kids and family, a lot of the housework has slid into disarray, I have spent the last few days "spring cleaning" - I think it is high time to devise a job chart and make these houligans - and myself stick to it. It always feels good to come home to a clean house.


On the lines of family being first and foremost, too many evenings we have fallen into the fast food routine which involves driving into to town to get the fast food and then eating on the fly while running other errands. A lot of time its caused by lack of planning ahead on my part. Sundays need to become my "get my shit together day" in which I plan meals ahead for the week and shop for the ingredients and even cook ahead if and when possible. I have done it in the past, it really does save a lot of time and money. Taking this concept one step further, it is time we stop eating in different stages of the evening, one kid eating early, another later, me skipping dinner, etc, we truly need to have family time and sit down to an evening meal together.


I am ashamed to post these goals "out loud" for you all to see where I have been so weak. But if doing this makes me open my eyes and work a little harder to devise a better more structured family life for my kids, then its worth it.


Obviously organization and discipline are the key factors here. Guess I know what I need to work on, wish us all luck!

3 comments:

Dan Turkette said...

I can related. I was busy cooking dinners for the kids this weekend instead of fast or frozen and I enjoyed it, but cooking is one of my passions.

Weight - yup could stand to lose a few. Not as many as some other Bloggers but a few ;)

Church - it'd fall down on me if I walked in.

Tim Zank said...

Het there JR, don't feel embarassed for putting a few goals in print, it'll probably help you to stick to them a little better.
The Church thing gets tougher the older the kids get, more activities, sleepovers, etc...you are right, you must guide them!

The real tough one is the meal together at an actual table!! I have the luxury of a flexible schedule (unlike my wife) and I love to cook so I can keep the fast food to a minimum most times.
I usually cook every night, the tough part is the schedules...in different seasons daughter has gymnastics,volleyball, basketball, and soccer (she's only 11) middle son (15) has basketball, tennis, work or something going on, (oldest son (24) is in college in Georgia so I don't have to cook for him except on holidays.)and of course my wife sometimes has appts. late in the day and then she hits the ymca to de-stress, so a lot of nights I'll cook three different meals at different times. We actually had a meal at a table tonight, thanks to it being a holiday!
Take a deep breath on the spring cleaning, tomorrow the mess will still be there, but your kids might not be, hold 'em close and prioritize.....
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Unknown said...

You know I can SO relate.
Here in the Hide house, we are trying to clean and organize. diet and get a little healthier.
.
uh- huh
.
yep. There we go, we will see how it lasts.